Sunday, January 04, 2004

A long phone call.

Like I predicted, the phone call was long... long... long... in fact, it was an everlasting canto-english conversation lasting about 4 hours with a 30 minute interval in the middle; when Colin had to say hi to friends that came over at 9:30pm?... Then he called me back, which was when we put Andy on the 3rd line for a 3rd opinion.

This 3rd opinion spanned across many subjects and topics, all except for the main reason why the call was intitiated: UNSW or USYD for Colin. In the end, I don't think Colin was any more clearer or decisive on his directions... not that talking about sports, school, university life, politics, chinese, stupid America, other people, other things and other matters which took up 98% of talk time in the meanwhile helped.

To make Colin even more indecisive was the fact that I, as with Tommy support UNSW, and Andy with Sam Fanous supports USYD; despite remaining loyal to our UTS. Then we just flooded Colin with why our degree was good, enough to make him think for a split second to come with us.

I reckon it might have worked if we had not sidetracked to random topics such as blind Deans (Law at USYD), discrimination, job prospects- the 'I don't want to be a barrister or solicitor' and 'Actuaries get paid for a reason' talk, the 'what will you be doing in 10 years?'discussion- Colin, today's cricket results and India whipping our arse, thinking of playing polo, bad transportation to UNSW or anywhere for that matter in Sydney, 'friend factor' at uni, Andy's formal dates, OC and white people in a 'where are they now and what did they get?' scenario (Andy and I only while Colin waited quietly), Colin's primary school people (hah- Simon Lee, Jaeoh Jang, Peter Hudson, etc), scholarship dilemmas for Colin, travelling back to HK for Andy and I, crap summer weather, drivings, cars, expenses of bus tickets as compared to free transport, going out to bowling and ice skating, and so on.

There were a lot more random and weird topics. But I'm too tired to even remember what they were. All I do know is that we didn't get further than where we began.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home