Thursday, October 27, 2005

Don't burst my bubble yet.

The flavour of the week is definitely uni politics. Now let's take this from the reverse perspective. Let's see what it's like not as a campaigner, but as one that is stalked, chased, harrassed, bullied and blackmailed into voting.

Right, uni elections come along. How do we know? Well the usual hullabulloo. Uni walls stuck with colourful pieces of paper, people handing out colourful pieces of paper, chalk writings all over the ground, people turning up in t-shirts with faces on them, people talking about the personal lives of the presidential candidates and suddenly a flurry of people whom you'd never expect to see start appearing (ie. high-flyers from other unis)... That's when you know that the time has once again come round...

I dunno about other unis, but at UTS, the polling area is the walkway adjoining the 2 halves of the Markets campus. This effectively means that it's virtually impossible to not be harrassed getting to class at any given time. So what is harrassment? We were shouted at, we were begged, we were followed, and weirdly, chased by crazy crazy campaigners. It was just weird.

The end result of their labours? We were given bits of paper. They smiled, asked us how we were. Then the spiel.. 'use your democratic power and support us...' and we were taught how to fill in boxes (a year 1 skill): 'follow the instructions on this piece of paper, and it's all cool'. But... what did they stand for? Eh- I really didn't care anyway. I dun think 95% of people do. What caught my attention interestingly enough was that some parties even accused other parties of being pro-VSU :O! I suppose they wanted us to believe other parties were dumb enough to commit political suicide. Dumb dumb campaigners.

So this is what politics has come down to? A bunch of nagging, chasing, annoying campaigners who really have no idea what they are actually campaigning for, annoying the shits out of those who only want to get to class. Here anyway, I think both major parties stood for the same thing, well seemingly, I mean come on, Left Focus and Left Markets... even the name sounds the same. Could they be any more politically stupid than to pick similar names?

That is why I am so glad that elections are only 2 days long. The hullabullo ends as fast as it came. And thank god for the level 2 bypass around the polling booth...

For your interest, this is why the 95% of people voted... Me being number 3.
1. The presidential candidate is hot
2. I know the presidential candidate/someone in the party
3. I have a friend who knows the presidential candidate/ ~
4. My friend's friend's friend knows the presidential candidiate/ ~
4. The other guy looks like a retard
5. Some dumb enough to fall for the pro-VSU slander

That's what you get from the people that don't really care. A very different story to those that do.

Bottom Line: go figure.

----
But a congratulations to those that made it into office. I hope you actually contribute towards the bettering of the society that you're in, as opposed to using it for resume fodder. That is all.

1 Comments:

At Thu Oct 27, 03:37:00 pm, Blogger Jackson C said...

There were liberals in USYD campaigning for PRO VSU weren't there?

I'm pro-VSU... these dumb kids deserve it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home