Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Hey guys. Busy at work. James can tell you all about it. Myer is hectic during the stocktake period. I was up at 6am to go to work today just to satisfy their pockets. I can't wait till it cools down and I can concentrate on other things.

There are a few things I want to bring to your attention:
- Flickerfest starts on the 5th Jan. Remember the shorts at Bondi? This year's line-up is on their site now. If interested, let me know of your availbities during the week starting 5th Jan.

- Openair Jan 16th. Memoirs of a Geisha screening, if anyone is interested, please purchase your tickets early or let me know asap. Starts at sundown.

- Guitar Wolf gig at the Marquee this Thursday. Anyone interested?

- Sydney Festival 2006!

Broken Flowers
Good, not great. 7/10

Bad News Bears
Funny mainstream comedy. Love the sick humour. 6/10

Thumbsucker

Keanu Reeves as a philosophical dentist and a kid on speed winning debating competitions. Different... 6.5/10

Rampo Noir
Had to give up the Anime cruise for this. So glad I did. 10/10

Hidden Blade

Subtly quirky, simple, lil samurai flick. 7/10

Pulp Fiction
Great lines. Tarantino style a mix. 8/10

Kill Bill 1
Favoured bias towards japanese-styled violence. 7.5/10

Shawshank Redemption
Good, but overrated. 7/10

Citizen Kane
Great for its time. 9/10

Run Lola Run
Love her hair. 8/10

Enduring Love
Disappointing. Daniel Craig is still cool. 5/10

Door in the Floor
Bizarre in a quiet way. 6.5/10

The Godfather
For its time, I suppose. Marlon Brando was very awesome. 7.5/10

Memento
Impressive directing. 8.5/10

Pi
Aronofsky's very chilling style. Loved it. 9/10

Trainspotting
Underworld's born slippy one of the best atmospheric trance tracks. 8/10

Willow
Awesome fantasy fick =) It should've set the benchmark for fantasy films, not LOTR. 7.5/10

I've been watching most of these at 2am after work. It's the only time I've got =\

5 Comments:

At Wed Dec 28, 12:44:00 pm, Blogger Jackson C said...

It would've deserved better if it wasn't so overhyped and raised my expectations. The overall implementation of the film was excellent, but there was something lacking that I couldn't put my finger on.

Nah I can't possibly afford all this. I rented all this. Maybe we can rent 5 weeklies or something for nye.

A lesson I've learnt from all this: I'm going to try to avoid trailers. I don't want any expectations from any movies.

 
At Wed Dec 28, 09:40:00 pm, Blogger Jackson C said...

At the time of theatrical release, Shawshank was indeed a bit of a flop. Consequently it has been overhyped and been dubbed one of the best films of all time afterwards on all mainstream media. I thought it was a great film, but I certainly could live to not see it. There is always Philadephia or Forrest Gump.

A story like Shawshank didn't need lavish cinematography, but it didn't have the charisma which allowed us to easily fall in love with it. It was just cliched and I was getting tired of movies with storylines like that.

It's probably the fact that I wasn't in the right frame of mind for me to appreciate it as much as everyone else has. *shrug*

I seem to forget that fact everyday when I see a pretty trailer =P Fei and I always make sure you make it on time for the trailers at least.

 
At Thu Dec 29, 11:39:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shawshank is one of the most flawless movies I've seen. Great story (thanks to Stephen King's source material), perfectly paced, not a frame wasted, wonderful performances and beautiful music. I Shawshank is perhaps the film that made me want to be a filmmaker (more so than any other film at least).

Some people criticised it for being "overly sentimental", which I think is absurd because I thought one of the films strengths is that it's so well measured and never corny; just very deeply human.

 
At Fri Dec 30, 11:20:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it has been many years since i first (and last) watched shawshank redemption. my general impression was that it was a good movie, but as jackson said, it's overhyped. voters on IMDB have it as the 2nd best movie of all time, behind godfather... which leads me to my next point.

jackson, how on earth can you just say godfather was good for it's time and give it 7.5/10? i just watched Part I&II of the trilogy for the second time, almost 20 yrs after they were released, and in my opinion they are the best movies of ALL time (part III kinda sucked).

marlon brando was awesome, but you forgot about the rest of the cast. the actors that played michael corleone, tom hagen and sonny corleone were all nominated for best supporting actor at the oscars that yr, but unfortunately none of them won... lol. but even the other actors that played minor roles were cool, like luca brasi. and in partII frankie and vito corleone (played by robert de niro) were great.

also, the plot was just awesome. there are so many memorable scenes and quotes from the godfather, "i'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse". the opening scene of godfather 1, the restaurant scene where michael kills the corrupt cop and sollozzo, and the scene where woltz wakes up with his horse's head on his bed are all memorable.

so yeah, you better re-watch the trilogy and change your mind, or you'll be "sleeping with the fishes" ;)

P.S. how's everyone going?

- ditt

 
At Tue Jan 03, 09:03:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to go to the Geisha screening!

I'll suss out the tickets...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home