Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I was listening to the BBC World Service on the weekend, and they were talking about intellectual design.

What I found to be really weird was the way they teach in some schools in Africa. I am more or less an advocate of scientific notions of evolution, yet I do understand the supernatural creation aspect many believe in as well. But what amazed me was the way that the teachers combined God and Science. What they were teaching I still don't understand... Noah taking mini dinosaurs on the ark? They did not speak of evolution, coz no, no such thing as that. I somehow fail to reconcile the concept of creating dinosaurs on the 6th day, and humans the 7th.

What I do seem to comprehend is intelligent design. It is a more moderated concept, more aligned to scientific principles. It is a notion taught in a lot of American schools, am I not surprised. I somehow don't seem to understand how they say it is not related to God, broadly speaking, the supernatural, when the very concept itself is based on the flawless design of some-one/thing/person. That escapes me.

Then I turned the radio off.

3 Comments:

At Tue Nov 22, 02:26:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"god created man through evolution" - a perfectly reasonable explanation of intelligent life. but intelligent design is just intelligent design is creationism wrapped up in pseudoscience.

as a theory, it doesn't really create much opportunity for scientific research or discussion because you can't test it. once you've said "things are just too complex for humans to understand, so it must have been made by someone", i can't really see any opportunity for any further scientific scholarship. its a closed statement, period. read this for further info:

www.science.unsw.edu.au

conclusion:

1) its just a copout by dumbarse/shit scientists who have lost the will to do any further research. its probably also a publicity stunt to raise the profile of their mediocre unis.

2) its another way for christian nuts to suck in more lost and confused ppl.

the truth is out there - we just have to find it.


-carl

 
At Tue Nov 22, 04:52:00 pm, Blogger benny said...

my tiny mind can't comprehend... actually, no. it just can't be bothered. i'll just stick to my darwin theories, thanks.

 
At Wed Nov 23, 07:45:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes thats true. modern fundamentalist are so hypocritical; they want all the benefits of technology without the science that produces them.

we should give the muslim and christian nuts all the technology they can handle so they can blow themselves and each other up.

carl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home