Saturday, August 14, 2004

Shangs 1:2

Disclaimer note: The display of these articles and research are not for self-benefitting reasons, but as a tribute for all people who have suffered in the hands of shanghainese men and women. At the same time, things in this series should not be taken seriosuly. This and future shanghai related posts may offend some people, however i'm excercising my right to freedom of speech. You've been warned.

This is what I picked up from a tourist forum when talking about their experiences in Shanghai. I've only included and highlighted the ones that stood out to justify my arguments.

"I HATE:
10) The lack of an open and honest media. Chinese culture has its oddities but the systemic lack of honest reporting remains the biggest obstacle to progress.
09) Stinky tofu and its ambient aroma.
08) People who leave stickers on household installed equipments (eg. ceiling fans and toilet bowls) even though the brand is unknown and the product is not new.
07) Long fingernails on men, esp. one finger, we know what you use it for!
06) Condition of public toilets, no need to explain.
05) All the arcade video games are old here.
04) The pervasive Chinese disdain for Japanese people, although most cannot actually justify the persistence of their scorn in 2004.
03) The expectation that all foreigners should speak English.
02) The absence of common courtesy when queing for taxis, shop cashiers, ATM, etc.
01) The lack of quality live music in Shanghai.
0*) When somewhat advanced locals acknowledge poor behaviour of their compatriots but take no action to help correct it."



"I dislike

The Shanghainese people's rudeness.

Their personal hygiene. Stop spitting for fucks sake.

Their incompetance to do anything properly. It takes 8 people to do a job that one person could do in the West. Go to any reception desk anywhere in Shanghai and you'll see what I mean."



"Dislikes:
1) lack of our level of common sense
2) poor personal hygeine of many local folks
3) Do they know what queues are yet? getting better, but having to yell at people to get in line all the time gets a bit tiring.
4) Poor customer service overall...improving, but they have a ways to go yet.
5) The OTHER expats who are either here temporarily and treat this place as a playground and do thing they likely would not do in theor own home countries...if they even still have one, or the ones who have to surround themselves entirely with western creature comforts to allow them to imagine that they never left what ever place they came from. These folks annoy me FAR more than the locals who just mayy not have the opportunity to develop the common sense that we do.
6) Some food here are just WAYYYYY too oily!
7) lack of foreign language bookstores like a Borders or Barnes and Nobles..."




"Things I dislike:

1) Being pushed and shoved around, queue jumpers
2) Some chinese food - sorry - it really makes me ill
*3) Drinking expenditure on a weekend - I will never understand why drinks have to be so expensive here...it is like you are being discriminated against for wanting to relax and have a drink
4) Expat ladies - sorry, but I would say this applies to around 90% of them here, I have never witnessed so much moaning, and whining about maids, drivers etc...PLEASE COME BACK DOWN TO EARTH LADIES...
5) No book shops, like WH Smiths/Borders, or record shops [with lots of choices]...
6) Sorry one more! Marks and Spencers, I miss it, for buying undies and prawn sandwiches..."



"Don\'t love:

1: Being so far from my family: I really like my family and it sucks being a 24 hour flight away from home.
2: Being a foreigner: sometimes it just really sucks always being the outsider
3: The expat community: sorry guys- I know there are lots of nice expats in the city, most of them probably on this forum- but I\'ve met a lot of nasty, snobby, sleazy, weird-o expats in this town (and I\'ve lived abroad before, why Shanghai gets \'em all, I don\'t know). The Chinese have by far been friendlier and more accepting than \"my own kind\", and boy is that a slap in the face sometimes.
4: Hygene: you get used to it, but it still gets me the way that people treat their houses and streets and selves...whooo..
5: Lack of straightforwardness in Chinese culture: This is just the culture, it\'s just the way it is and I\'ve learned to accept it, but the Chinese will lie through their teeth, they\'ll cheat you and never think twice, nothing\'s ever certain and you will never ever ever get a straight answer. That\'s just how they do it and I\'ll be damned if I ever make sense of it- or understand how anyone ever owns any sort of business in this country, but they seem to make it work somehow."


Source

In summary, what the above was trying to say was:
1/ Shanghainese people have no consideration for other people.
2/ Lack of common sense and/or honesty.

Hey, I'm not alone about this! =)

I deserve 2 points rather than 1. Plus an encouragement stamp.

Scoreboard
Jackson: 3
Shangs: 0
[ =) Good Work]



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home